San Diego County Gun Owners has fought really hard all year to keep the Del Mar Gun Show...
- We brought hundreds of supporters at the Agricultural Board meeting in April;
- We announced our $10,000 Gun Show Challenge;
- We delivered 3,100+ individually signed letters to Ag Board in support of the gun show;
- We also delivered 30+ letters from elected officials across the county;
- We've continually worked with Fairgrounds staff;
- We've made statements in the news; and
- We've educated the public about the importance of having the gun show in your community.
On Tuesday, the Contracts Committee of the 22nd Agricultural Board presented a recommendation to institute a moratorium on the Crossroads of the West Gun Show for 2019 at the Del Mar Fairgrounds while they consider the following five issues:
- Consider gun shows for education and training purposes while banning guns and ammunition
- Have gun show contracts aligned with state and federal law
- Have enhanced security plan for future gun shows
- Consider age appropriate for gun shows
- And conduct an audit involving firearms laws
After 5+ hours of public testimony, the Board voted 8-1 to adopt the Committee's recommendation.
In other words, the Fairgrounds staff has up to one year to propose a policy of having a gun show
without any guns
. The sale of firearms would, in theory, still be allowed, but firearms would not be allowed on the premises.
This will ultimately result in the end of the gun show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
So what's next?
The shows on September 29-30 and December 8-9 will still go forward.
We can't reveal details now, but San Diego County Gun Owners is working with Crossroads of the West to find another venue. We hope to reveal details in the next few months.
We don't view this as a failure, just a minor setback. We think we'll end up with an even better gun show in the future!