What’s New in the Fascinating World of California Anti-Ammunition Laws?
Gavin and the Grabbers are coming to a range near you. Beginning in July 2019, ammunition purchase will require a DOJ background check. Ammunition vendors will be required to report to the state, what kind of ammunition you purchased, how many rounds, and when. This information will go into a government database (to keep you safe and reduce crime). A great summary of what will go into effect in July 2019, and how you will be impacted, was put together by LAX Ammunition OC and can be seen here.
Why is this Happening?
- A burning desire to disarm the population– Many on the left in this country believe that if guns were banned there would be no crime. This is fantasy, but many people believe it just the same. Left leaning politicians realize this and take advantage of this ignorance. The thinking is that the government will somehow keep you safe. Rational people understand that is nonsense. You are responsible for keeping yourself and your family safe. That idea would have been considered common sense to most Americans up until about fifty years ago. Its time for a return of common sense.
- The intentional demonization of guns and gun owners– This active campaign has been waged by the left and supported by the media and the entertainment industry since the 1970s. It’s been very successful. Law abiding gun owners (you and I), are blamed each time some crazy person or criminal uses a gun to injure or kill people. Stop tolerating it.
- Apathetic gun owners– Many gun owners are apathetic. Often at the range, I’ll hear other shooters say they don’t care about politics; they just want to shoot their guns. If you think that way you’re being foolish. If you think because you’re a hunter and you don’t own an AR15, you don’t need to care about what’s going on, you’re naive. They’re coming for you eventually; they’re just starting with the low hanging fruit. Don’t be apathetic, take an interest and get involved.
- Power and control– Gun control laws have nothing to do with reducing crime or increasing public safety. They have everything to do with disarming and controlling citizens. This approach is seen again and again throughout history and around the world. The political left in this country seeks complete control. It’s easier to control a population when that population is not armed.
What Can You Do?
- Stock up– Ammunition shortages are likely coming. As we get closer to July people will be buying ammunition to stock up. Gun shops will be running ammunition sales. Poway Weapons and Gear, for instance, is starting their “Million Rounds in a Month” sale beginning on Black Friday. People that accumulate enough ammunition to last a year or two won’t have to register immediately. This will give the expected lawsuits a chance to get these laws overturned before we are forced to become part of yet another government database.
- Consider taking up the fun and rewarding hobby of reloading– I got into reloading sooner than I had planned, specifically because of the growing anti-gun attitude of government in California. Controlling ammunition is another way for the left to work around the second amendment and disarm the public. Your gun is useless if you can’t get ammunition. Learn to reload; it really is fun and rewarding. It’s also relaxing, once you get the hang of it. If you don’t shoot enough to justify the financial investment, consider teaming up with a shooting buddy or two and share the costs.
- Get off your ass and do something– I’m sorry but if you’re a gun owner and you still don’t belong to the NRA you need to seriously reconsider your position. The fact that citizens can still own guns is, in large part, due to the NRA. You don’t need to like everyone who works for the NRA, nor do you need to agree with every statement they make or every position they take. You do need to support them by becoming a member. A five-year membership costs $140.
Join the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA). The CRPA is the organization that, along with the NRA, brings the lawsuits that challenge these ridiculous laws in California. They’re the ones that got the injunction that is currently in effect, against the magazine ban. It’s the reason you are not currently limited to a substandard ten round magazine. It costs $35 per year to support CRPA.
Join the San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO). The NRA works at the national level. The CRPA works at the state level. SDCGO works at the county level. SDCGO works to get second amendment friendly politicians elected to city councils, school boards, supervisor seats, and many other elected offices throughout the county. SDCGO is responsible for convincing the Sheriff to restore our CCW rights in San Diego County. For the first time in over thirty years, the average citizen can obtain a concealed carry permit in San Diego County. It costs $10 per month to support SDCGO.
Support these groups to whatever extent you can, be it with time, or money, or expertise, but get involved. Anti-gun forces will not stop until you’re completely disarmed.
If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO), the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA), and the National Rifle Association (NRA). Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2018 Joseph T Drammissi