It’s Not Just the Second Amendment Under Attack Today
Most gun owners are aware that the Second Amendment is under constant and vigorous attack. The Second Amendment is under attack from government officials, from well-funded anti-gun groups, from the media, and from the entertainment industry. Even the public education system is decidedly anti-Second Amendment.
None of this should come as a surprise. What might be surprising is the extent of the attacks on other parts of the Constitution. The Second Amendment tends to act as a lightning rod for those who disagree with the Constitution in general. Other rights are frequently abused in an effort to attack the Second Amendment. Consider the following:
- New York Governor Cuomo’s threat to pressure banks and insurance companies to discontinue business with gun industry clients such as the NRA or gun and ammo manufacturers. The threat implies (likely illegal) regulatory retaliation from the State for those that don’t comply. (Freedom of Association)
- The Los Angeles City Council ordinance that requires contractors to disclose any relationship (private or professional) they have with the NRA if they want to do business with the city. The NRA has filed suit. (Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech)
- The Obama era Operation Choke Point which sought to bar financial resources from disfavored industries such as firearms manufacturers. (Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech)
- The intentional lack of firearms education and activities in the education system. Shooting clubs and organizations are discouraged or banned at many (but not all) schools. This approach results in a population of young adults with no understanding of basic firearms principles or the Second Amendment. These young adults are more easily manipulated and more likely to make uninformed decisions on Second Amendment issues. (Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech)
- Absurd zero tolerance policies regarding firearms in place at many schools. Students have been suspended or expelled for posting pictures of them participating in legitimate shooting activities. (Freedom of Speech)
One of the two major political parties in the United States has made gun control an important plank in their political platform. The likely ultimate goal is a completely disarmed citizenry and any means are justified to reach this end. Mainstream media outlets such as CNN and MSNBC generally promote the policies of this party. These media outlets routinely disseminate misleading or false information regarding firearms.
The result is that the electorate is misinformed and more easily manipulated. When we no longer have a fair and balanced press willing to report opposing views accurately, free speech is crushed. Dissenting views, whether supported by facts or not, are silenced.
All Americans, gun owners or not, need to stand up and not accept this behavior. Americans enjoy more freedom and liberty than any other people on earth. If we want to continue to enjoy these rights we need to stand up and protect the Constitution and all of our rights from those that would undermine them. Educate yourself, engage, vote, and join the fight.
The right to self-defense is a basic human right. Gun ownership is an integral part of that right. If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO), the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA), and the National Rifle Association (NRA). Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2019 Joseph T Drammissi