People often tell me they are leaving California and moving to “Free America”. They cite a host of reasons mostly related to the impact of our corrupt state government. For gun owners the obvious driving force is the State’s aggressive infringement on our second amendment (2A) rights.
I understand this desire to escape but I have to ask to what end? The bad gun control laws that develop here tend to spread to other states. At what point do Americans take a stand and fight back? At what point do we decide to elect politicians that won’t infringe on our basic rights?
California produces uninformed, corrupt, and dishonest politicians like New Jersey produces tomatoes (Jersey tomatoes are the best). We export these politicians and their ideas resulting in bad laws spreading across the country.
At the Federal level:
- House passes Universal Background Checks– Already California Law
- Feinstein proposes national assault weapon ban –Already California Law
At the State level:
- Virginia Governor proposes:
- One handgun purchase per month – Already California Law
- So called “assault weapon” ban – Already California Law
- Law to report lost/stolen firearms – Already California Law
- Extreme Risk Protective Orders – Already California Law
- Person to person transfer restrictions – Already California Law
- More states consider Red Flag Laws– Already California Law
- New Jersey magazine ban –Already California Law (under temporary stay)
- New Jersey restricts ammunition sales –Already California Law
We’ve painted a pretty bleak picture here but things aren’t quite as bad as they seem. With the exception of seven or eight backward states, most of the country is very pro 2A. Most of the bad ideas seem to originate and gain support in urban areas.
On a more optimistic note, we now have over 17 million concealed carry (CCW) permit holders across the country. The number of CCW permits continues to grow at an ever-increasing rate. We’ve regained our CCW rights in San Diego County. Oklahoma recently became the 15th state to pass constitutional (requiring no permit) carry.
America and the Constitution are in good shape however they are both under aggressive attack by people who don’t believe in either. As Americans, and especially as gun owners, we have an obligation to fight to protect our rights. The way to do this is not to flee but to stay and get involved.
Learn about the politicians running in your area. Support the ones that support your rights. Elect pro 2A politicians and reject gun control advocates. Get involved and support groups that are fighting for your rights. There are many to choose from, pick some that you like and get involved. Encourage your friends to do the same.
If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO), the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA), and the National Rifle Association (NRA). Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2019 Joseph T Drammissi