Are Gun Owners Reaching a Tipping Point?
Some of you may have read “The Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell. To quote from the Amazon book description “The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire”. Americans may be close to reaching a tipping point regarding resistance to oppressive gun control laws.
Today the Second Amendment is under vigorous attack. This is probably due to a combination of things. We seem to have a mostly apathetic community of gun owners. In addition we have an intentionally misinformed public. Finally we have a major political party, supported by their media surrogates, that is virulently anti-gun. Both have spent most of the last thirty years aggressively demonizing gun owners. They’ve been very successful in this effort.
The good news is that there are signs that Americans are beginning to push back. It may be that the level of oppressive, unconstitutional anti-gun laws has reached a point where Americans have had enough, a tipping point.
Consider the following:
- New Jersey has made possession of standard capacity magazines a criminal offense. Residents are expected to turn in to law enforcement or destroy any standard capacity magazines they possess. Apparently NJ residents have refused. Various NJ law enforcement agencies have reported virtually no magazines turned in.
- Sheriffs throughout Colorado are refusing to enforce newly enacted Red Flag Laws. Local political leaders are supporting the Sheriffs. This is extremely unusual behavior. Over half of Colorado’s counties say they will not comply with ill conceived and dangerous Red Flag laws. The same is happening in Washington, Oregon, and New Mexico.
- The US District Court for the Southern District of California permanently enjoined California’s ban on standard capacity magazines. The State has appealed. However, Judge Benitez’s opinion is so well written, logical, and factually supported that the chance of these laws being overturned once and for all is very good.
- Missouri will likely pass a law banning all federal gun control laws. The law, if passed, will certainly be challenged in court. What would motivate a state legislature to pass such a bill? Could this be a sign of a tipping point at the state level?
- Mainstream media is reporting more self defense incidents. National news outlets almost never covered incidents where an armed citizen successfully defended against a violent criminal. Stories of that nature violate the standard media narrative that guns and gun owners are bad. That seems to be changing with those stories appearing more frequently.
We in California are on the front lines in the fight to restore and preserve our rights. Things tend to happen first in California, both the good and the bad. Bad laws that originate in poorly governed states like California, New York, and New Jersey tend to spread to other states.
Fortunately most Americans aren’t having their rights trampled to the degree that we see in California. Californians have been slow to realize the danger. Other Americans would be wise to defend the rights they have rather than waiting until they’re forced to fight to regain lost rights. Americans need to reach a tipping point.
The right to self-defense is a basic human right. Gun ownership is an integral part of that right. If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO), the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA), and the National Rifle Association (NRA). Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2019 Joseph T Drammissi