Please be very patient with the Sheriff's staff. They are dedicated to servicing applicants and they have been wonderful. This is a very tough time for everyone, and they are doing their best to process.
The Sheriff’s website has the most current information so before you do anything (renew, apply, call their office, etc), please read their website. Information and procedures are changing quickly and often.
Here is some important information regarding new applicants and renewals.
New CCW Applicants:
- Applicants should follow the instructions given online at the Sheriff’s website. The good cause statement allows an infinite amount of characters. Enter your statement in the field provided (please do not submit a separate document for your good cause statement).
- Once the application is submitted and reviewed any additional information will be requested via the online program. Look for an email from auto@permitium. That email will give the information needed to assist them through the process.
- The Licensing Department is currently processing applications to the best of their ability considering the situation, while abiding by the social distancing, County Health Department requirements. Once your application is submitted, the licensing department will contact you via email (possibly phone) and guide you through the rest of the process. They will also inform you regarding any additional requirements for your permit.
- If you are within 30 days of your required renewal, submit your renewal application online through the Sheriff's newly implemented online Permitium program. Here is the link to submit your application (including uploading your supporting documentation like your Good Cause statement): https://sandiegoca.permitium.com/entry
- Most of the approved CCW instructors who give the required 4-hour renewal class are able to safely continue their operations. Keep in mind that the instructors have to comply with the social distancing, County Health Department requirements. Contact them and they will guide you through the necessary steps they are taking to run their classes and make sure you stay healthy and safe.
Please, continue to be patient and understanding. Everyone... from the shops/ranges to the instructors, to the Sheriff's department... has been fantastic. Things will return to normal.
SDCGO is here to be a resource. Please feel free to reach out to us and we will answer any questions we can.