If you are going through the process of getting a CCW now or renewing your CCW, please take a minute to read and share this information.
- Extreme Slowdowns. Licensing is experiencing extreme slowdowns in processing applications and renewals. The slowdown has to do with a loss of staff and COVID-19 capacity restrictions in licensing. These slowdowns will continue deep into 2021. The hope is to process every application in a timely manner. From what I have seen from licensing and leadership at the Sheriff's Department, they are trying hard to be quick and efficient. They are doing the best they can with the staff they have and the restrictions they are under. Nobody is happy about the current wait times and licensing is trying hard to work through the backlog.
- New applicants. Apply and please be patient. Your initial appointment is going to be a year away. We recommend you get into their queue now and update licensing with any changes along the way. SDCGO is still confident that licensing will get on top of their backlog. They will go in order so the sooner you apply, the sooner you will get your permit. Info on how to apply is here: www.SDCGO.org/CCW and the link to apply is here: https://sandiegoca.permitium.com/ccw/start
- Your Appointment Date. Until further notice, CCW licensing is no longer proactively contacting CCW applicants to offer a new, sooner appointment date. We strongly suggest that you email licensing ASAP to confirm your appointment date for your new application or renewal. Their email is: CCW@SDSHERIFF.ORG If you do not know your appointment date, email licensing and ask.
Suggested email to licensing: CCW Licensing, my name is ________ and I believe the date for my appointment for my initial appointment (or renewal) is XX/XX/20XX at XX:XXam/pm. Can you please confirm that the date/time I listed is correct or tell me what my date/time is?
- Walk-Ins. The sheriff's licensing department is NOT open to walk-in traffic. You must have an appointment to conduct any business with licensing. They are NOT processing fingerprinting except for CCW applicants.
- Renewals. submit your application via Permitium (link to Permitium is https://sandiegoca.permitium.com/ccw/start ) on the Sheriff's website, 90 days prior to expiration. Scan a blank sheet of paper in place of your 4-hour training certificate. Take your 4-hour training class after you submit your renewal. Your training certificate is good for 90 days due to the COVID-19 restrictions.
Licensing is so inundated and understaffed, your permit may temporarily expire. If it does, you cannot legally carry during that time. There is no mechanism for an extension. No, we cannot sue. No, they are not legally liable if something bad happens to you while you are expired and unable to carry. The Sheriff is following state law and cannot change that.
- Info Emails. Licensing uses email to contact applicants a lot. They may need to contact you for a variety of reasons (rescheduling your appointment, questions on your application, etc). Please check your spam filters and look for emails from Permitium ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and from licensing.
Message from Permitium Management
Permitium has recently been informed of a nationwide scam that has been targeting citizens with CCW permits. Those targeted by this scam have received text messages alerting them that their permit needs to be renewed or changed and offers a link to provide the user's information. This link is malicious and has NOT been generated by Permitium or your local agency Permit Director Software. NO TEXT MESSAGES FROM PERMITIUM CONTAIN LINKS.
If you field calls from your community, and they feel that they have been targeted or if they have already experienced malicious intent due to this text message, please have them report the scam to https://www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds . We have confirmed that the text messages are being sent randomly from phone numbers to people across the entire nation.
As always, our goal at Permitium is to be as proactive as possible when it comes to protecting the rights and personal information of our mutual customers. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Warm Regards, Permitium Management
Win a Gun by Having Fun!
It's time to step up your volunteer game!
Not only is volunteering a great way to give back to San Diego County Gun Owners and the Second Amendment community in general, it's super easy and fun. You spend a few hours at your local gun shop (admit it, you do that anyway!) and talk to people about how important it is to fight for your gun rights, and how SDCGO is accomplishing that.
Plus... we have an exciting new incentive program starting in 2021! Every shift for which you volunteer and work will earn you an entry into our quarterly drawing for A GUN!
Sign up for shifts today on our volunteer page. Check back often as we continue to add more dates.
8th Annual Front Sight Charity Shoot! Plus, Amazing Membership Offer!
Every year we promote this charity shoot and we hope you will all join us! It is a very cool opportunity to get a bunch of Californians to meet at Front Sight for 4 days to shoot together.
Yes, the event raises money to fight leukemia/lymphoma, and that is important. But the real value is the fun, the training, and the camaraderie! There is nothing like being on a range with 200+ fellow Californians!
This is a very inexpensive adventure - only $250! Normally, $200 is for the class, and $50 is a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, but one of our members has stepped up to make this deal even sweeter for you. For the first 100 people who sign up, donate your entire $250 to the charity, and she will GIVE YOU a Commander Level membership to Front Sight!
If you're already a Front Sight member, your class is covered, and you can still participate in this amazing event for just $50.
The event will be held March 5-8, 2021, and registration will open on January 1, 2021.
For more info, CLICK HERE, or contact us with any questions.
Blog: Responding To The Ammo Shortage – Is It Hoarding or Just Being Prepared?
Gun owners that shoot once or twice a year may not have noticed, but the rest of us have been experiencing a severe ammo shortage for the past six months or so. There’s been a great deal of discussion on the internet regarding the culpability of ammo manufacturers in the shortage. Gary Brennan, President of the San Diego County Wildlife Federation provided this video link to Federal, CCI, Speer, and Remington President Jason Vanderbrink explaining the situation. The video should calm any conspiracy fears.
If you're a new shooter who is interested in an informal shooting experience, our Shooting Socials are a great way to dip your toe in the water!
For just $50/person, we can give you a safe, fun, safe, and educational first-time shooting experience. You will get:
1. One-on-one mentoring with an experienced volunteer 2. Safety briefing in a classroom 3. 2 Hours of range rental 4. Gun(s) to learn with 5. 50 rounds of ammunition 6. Paper target(s) 7. Eye protection 8. Ear protection
We have openings at the following events:
March 13 at 8am
The Gun Range San Diego, 7853 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA
April 10 at 8am
The Gun Range San Diego, 7853 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA
Are you a new gun owner, or do you know any new gun owners?
We are proud to announce..... #WhatTheGun is here to help!
San Diego has so many great resources for new gun owners, so we decided to put all of the information on one page! Check out classes all around San Diego County designed for new gun owners and beginners.